Bibliopunkk

Entangled
Amy Rose Capetta
Twinmaker
Sean Williams
Plague - Michael  Grant It's been about three years, but I finally decided to finish reading the Gone books by Michael Grant. It's a great series in a sinking, ruinous, destructive sort of way. I read the first three in a week and decided to wait to read the latter three until they were all out (or I had ARCs). This week finally allotted the proper "mood" I needed to be in for the books.For those of you who haven't read the books I will say this - Grant's imagination is massive. And disturbing. And horrifying. These are billed as Science Fiction/Dystopia... but they are Horror in the truest sense of the word. Don't let the covers fool you, there is nothing hopeful or light about these books. If you decide to read them you are embarking on a heart shattering, emotional roller coaster. I put down the book several times during the read. They are not something you can plow through.* Spoilers for those who have not read Gone, Hunger, and Lies. *In Plague, the fourth book, a new series of problems haunts the kids of the FAYZ (Fallout Alley Youth Zone). They have overcome starvation and they have overcome disloyalty but a new challenge has yet to be faced - pandemic. Kids are coming down with a flu that is so severe their necks snap from coughing... or they spray bits of lungs all over each other. In tandem another horror occurs - insects growing inside the skin that must burrow their way out of the occupant. Sam and Astrid and the council have had their problems running the FAYZ but this is a doozy by even their standards. Will they have to rely upon old enemies to resolve the plague?As with the other Gone books there are many characters to follow; many tributary plot lines. These books are a beautiful blend of action, tension, and complicated moralities. It's easy to see that lines would get skewed when you are in an environment where no one over the age of 15 exists... and there's no power... and the food supply is running down... and the medical treatment is sub-par... and everyone is angry with one another. New moralities must be birthed and with these new problems and with that come new neurosis. And there were some good ones in this book. Wow. I don't know if it's because I waited three years or if this book is just... wow. There are amazing character development moments in this book, and I can't wait to see where it's going. 5 out of 5 stars.