Bibliopunkk

Entangled
Amy Rose Capetta
Twinmaker
Sean Williams

Betrayals (Strange Angels Series #2)

Betrayals - Lili St. Crow, Lilith Saintcrow I'm going to have to reread this one. This reading of it was ill timed, or I wasn't into it, I'm not sure. However, I did have alot of stress this week and that prevented me from really getting into the book. Plus, I think I may need to reread the first one because it's been a while. Again, I'm not sure.The story is ok. Dru has made it to the Schola where she is to be trained in what being a svetocha means... except that she never really recieves any training. She spends most of the book moping around the school in the dark pining for her lost father, Christophe, and watching Graves be accepted into a wolf pack. And she becomes very jealous of the fact that he is getting along while she remains isolated. Of course, being the only girl at an all boys school helps in the isolation, but still. Overall, my impressions of Dru in the second book have become a bit "Bella", as we say in the book business. And that's a major disappointment, because I did not want this character to become Bella, as so many heroines in YA novels are these days. She's too vunerable, she spends too much time feeling sorry for herself and as such the scenes where she is proactive and doing something seem forced. I wanted her to be just as much of a badass as she was in the first book. The pages and pages of build up and feeling sorry for herself didn't do much to resurrect the character that I remember from the first book. This is the series that whenever I handsell it to anyone I do it under the notion that "I liked it because the character is female and a badass, and not a cheesepuff." In reading some of this I feel like I have to eat my words, even though plot structurally I understand why she is feeling sorry for herself. It's the first time Dru has had down time since the beginning of the series, and it allows for time to reflect and expand her character... if this is expansion, I want the old Dru back.That said, I'm ambivalent, because it may just be a bad book for me to be reading this week. To much in life outside of books going on. Still, I'm going to give it another go and reread this one at another time, to see if my impressions ring true...but I think I will wait until all of the "Strange angels" series is out and then just marathon it. I don't want to be disappointed in this series, the first one was excellent. I don't want Dru to become Bella. Of all characters, not her.